If this is the first time you’ve ever bought a hair topper, having to do things like choosing the right base can feel confusing. First things first, if you’re a hair topper newbie, you need to know the different types of bases that are available and which one will best suit your lifestyle and meet your needs. In this blog, I’m going to tell you what you need to know about hair topper bases in a nutshell; the pros, the cons, and who the different types are perfect for.
The Lace Base
A lace base consists of lace material with individual hairs tied to the base. This base will give you a very natural looking hairline, and as you’d imagine, lace is a very light and breathable material, so a lace topper base would be perfect to wear in the warmer months.
- Toppers with a lace base look the most natural because they mimic your own hairline.
- Lace is breathable and porous so you’ll stay cool on warmer days.
- The individual strands of hair are tied to the lace base and this creates a knot which may be visible around the parting. However, the knots can be bleached to make them less visible, and if your hair topper is a light colour, you shouldn’t have to worry too much about them being visible.
The Mono Base
Individual hairs are tied to a fine mesh material. This type of base is very durable and will last you a while. You can also change parting as much as you like, so there’s the potential for wearing more adventurous hairstyles.
- A mono base is very soft and comfortable to wear, so it’s perfect if you have a sensitive scalp. It’s a popular choice with ladies who have had chemotherapy treatment.
- It also mimics the natural hair really well, and the fact that you can move the parting around makes for easier styling.
- It excels in comfort, but unfortunately a mono base is not so breathable as the mesh is quite tightly weaved.
The Silk Base
If you’re worried about your hair topper being detectable, this base is for you. It’s made from a layer of lace and silk fabric on top of the cap which creates a very realistic scalp look. You don’t need to be worried about visible knots with this type of base either, as they are perfectly hidden under the silk.
- Hair toppers with a silk base look just like your own scalp, and there are no visible knots to worry about.
- Because silk base toppers can be parted in any direction, you’ll have way more versatility when it comes to styling your hair.
- Because there are a few layers to a silk base topper, you might find that it won’t lie flat on your head, and it can look a little bulky on the top of your head. This can be remedied, it just takes a little bit of playing around.
- As you can imagine when we are talking about layers, a silk base is not the choice for you if you want a breathable topper. They can be less comfortable to wear in the summer than the other types of bases.