Pregnancy can affect the hair in different ways. Some women find that their hair looks better than ever and it appears thick and shiny, while some experience hair loss. This is because the hormonal changes that occur during pregnancy affect people, and their hair follicles, very differently.
What causes hair loss during pregnancy?
Researchers believe that the hormone progesterone is responsible for hair loss in pregnancy. Progesterone levels are high during pregnancy, and high levels of the hormone can make the hair dry. Dry hair is not as strong and healthy, so it breaks or falls out more easily.
Hair loss after pregnancy
This is more common than hair loss during pregnancy. When hair loss occurs after you give birth, it’s known as telogen effluvium. This is hair loss that occurs when you’ve been through something stressful. Post-pregnancy hair loss can happen up to 6 months after you’ve had your baby, and the first thing you’ll notice is hair coming out in clumps in your hairbrush or in the shower. The good news is that the hair is usually back to normal after 6-12 months.
What causes hair loss after pregnancy?
- Hormonal fluctuations
- The physical stress of pregnancy and labour
- Exhaustion from looking after a new-born and missing out on sleep
How can you prevent hair loss in pregnancy?
- Use mild moisturising shampoos to avoid harsh chemicals and combat dryness
- Don’t brush your hair too much as this can cause breakage. When you do brush your hair, use a good quality brush. Opt for a detangling brush if you’re just out of the shower
- Don’t use heat styling tools too much as this can break brittle hair
- Don’t wear tight ponytails or braids as this can stress the hair and cause breakage and loss
- Eat well so that you nourish your hair from the inside out. Get plenty of fruit and veg, healthy fats, iron, and lean protein. Back up a good diet with a multivitamin designed especially for mums-to-be.
Are you worried about hair loss?
At a time when you’ve just had a baby and are feeling probably feeling stressed and self-conscious, hair loss can be devastating.
At Salon La Reine, we can help. We have the Nioxin treatment system and product range in the salon, so if you’re worried about hair thinning or loss, come in for a consultation and rediscover thicker, fuller hair that shines with health.